Hong Kong's street food is one of the city's unique experiences. Identifying individual Dai Pai Dongs is nigh on impossible, as they often have no name, move locations and many kitchens frequently meld into one. Instead below you'll find a list of the best areas to find some good quality Dai Pai Dongs. Check out our What Are Dai Pai Dongs article to find out more about these Hong Kong mainstays.
1. Graham StreetA collection of Dai Pai Dongs right in the heart of Central. The quality of food is decent if not renowned, however you will find at least a couple of owners who have a smattering of English, although hand pointing will remain the lingua franca. Be warned: this place gets swamped by office workers during lunch hours 12:30 - 2:00pm, and it's worth trying to avoid these hours. Graham Street , Central. Daily 6:30am - 8:00pm .
2. Temple StreetAttached to the Temple Street Markets, this collection of Dai Pai Dongs are some of the best in town. Just like the market, they are best seen at night, when you'll find a glut of locals tucking into excellent seafood and Tsing Tao beers. The streets are wide and the outside seating is a great chance to see life going on nearby. You are unlikely to find any English spoken. Temple Street, Yau Ma Tei. Daily 7-11pm.
3. Haiphong StreetA fairly compact collection of Dai Pai Dongs selling a mixture of Cantonese and Seafood specialties. Near Kowloon Park. Full of office workers during the 12:30 - 2:00pm rush. Haiphong Road, Kowloon Park, Tsim Sha Tsui. Open Daily 12:00pm - 9:00pm.
4. Hau Fook Street A good selection of Dai Pai Dong's with a wider range of food than can be usually found. Both Shanghainese and Beijingnese as well as the usual Cantonese fare is on offer. English won't be spoken. Hau Fook Street, Tsim Sha Tsui. Daily 7am - 7pm.
5. Causeway BayAlthough there is no dedicated area containing Dai Pai Dong's there are a fair few individual stores scattered throughout the Causeway Bay shopping area, one of Hong Kong's main shopping areas. Due to the tight space seating is often limited, however English is likely to be a little better understood. Causeway Bay. Various Opening Hours.