Plenty of rain and plenty more humidity, if a little lighter on the heat than July. August is, howeve,r when Hong Kongers get back after vacations and Hong Kong events are plentiful.
Average High 89F (31C) Average Low 78F (26C)
August is oppressively hot and humid with regular monsoon downfalls. Typhoons in Hong Kong are occasionally seen in August, bringing high winds and plenty of rain.
What to Wear
- An umbrella can be used both for the frequent downpours, but also to deflect the intense sun, a source of protection pioneered by the locals.
- A light sweater is useful as everywhere in Hong Kong is air conditioned, often like a fridge
- Light cotton T-Shirts are useful in the soup-like humidity, allowing your body to breath.
Need to Know
- First time visitors should be wary of the humidity, which will leave you soaked in sweat after ten minutes of walking. Be sure to take on plenty of liquids to battle against dehydration.
- If outdoors for more than twenty minutes, consider sun lotion or a cap, the Hong Kong sun is unrelenting.
- If traveling to the countryside, bring mosquito repellent.
- The sea in August is generally at its hottest and on average reaches a very pleasant 28C and the ideal time to visit the Hong Kong Beaches.
- August is live music time in Hong Kong, as a number of international superstars swing by.
- Hong Kong is effectively Typhoon -proof, and it can be fascinating to see the force of mother nature.
- Hong Kongers and expats return from vacation and the city gets its distinctive Hong Kong buzz back
- Rain rain and more rain.
- The humidity makes it difficult to do much walking outdoors.
August Events in Hong Kong
Ocean Park Prehistoric Splash - July 1st – August 31st
Hong Kong International Kung-Fu Festival July 22nd – August 6th
Placebo – August 3rd
Hong Kong Lifestyle Showcase 14th – 17th August
Jingkun Theatre & Shandong Peking Opera Theatre 21st-23rd August